Diet TLC or Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes is a medical diet that aims to change a person's lifestyle. Lifestyle in question is regulate cholesterol levels by changing the diet.
Emphasis TLC diet is to reduce saturated fat intake and increase fiber. So that his diet emphasizes fruits and vegetables with less fat and salt. A diet like this is useful for keeping cholesterol and blood pressure stability so that the risk of heart problems will decrease.
Facts About TLC Diet
- Leading health organizations including the American Heart Association recommends TLC.
- There is clear evidence that the increase in bad cholesterol (LDL) resulted in weight gain.
- Research shows that lowering LDL can prevent or reduce the risk of heart attack.
- Every 10% reduction in cholesterol reduces the risk of death from heart disease by 15%.
TLC Diet Benefits
Because the purpose of this diet to lower cholesterol without medication then this diet has great benefits. Among them is to reduce the risk of heart disease, heart attacks in the future, and other complications of heart disease. TLC diet is also beneficial to slow down and stop the accumulation of plaque as well as lowering cholesterol content in unstable plaques.
In addition, TLC Diet is also able to avoid the need for cholesterol-lowering medication or lowering the dose. Therefore, it can reduce the side effects that accompany it. TLC diet also help control the risk factors for heart disease such as high blood pressure, overweight / obesity, and metabolic syndrome.
Another benefit is to prevent diabetes as this diet will automatically lower insulin levels in patients with high cholesterol. These diets also reduce the chances of blood clots, weight loss, and support a healthy lifestyle.
TLC Diet Rules
- Reduce your intake of saturated fatty foods, such as fried foods, beef and mutton are fried or experiencing the cooking process many times.
- Limiting salt intake is a maximum of 1 teaspoon per day.
- Exercising regularly and measured between 15-30 minutes each day.
Eating a Diet Guide TLC
- Carbohydrates 50% - 60% of total calories.
- Protein 15% of total calories.
- Fat 25% - 35% of total calories.
- Saturated fat less than 7% of total calories.
- Cholesterol less than 200 milligrams.
- Less than 2,400 milligrams of salt.
- Fiber 20-30 grams.
- Soluble fiber 10-25 grams.
- Plant stanols / sterols 2 grams.
Stanols / sterols found in many fruits, vegetables, vegetable oils, nuts, grains, and cereals. The type of food recommended for consumption on this diet include fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, low-fat dairy products or lean, fish, and poultry such as chicken without the skin.
Daily Diet Menu TLC
Menu per day to implement this diet is
3-5 servings of rice (if more than 3 times preferably 1 serving = 1/2 plate),
5 ounces of meat including skinless chicken or fish,
3-5 servings of vegetables and grains,
4 servings of fruit, and
2-3 servings of low- or non-fat milk.
Here is an example of the daily menu TLC diet that is applied in the United States with approximately 2,000 kcal illustrations calories per day.
1 cup oatmeal (with 1 cup fat-free milk and ¼ cup raisins),
1 cup of melon,
1 cup orange juice, and
1 cup of coffee (with 2 tablespoons fat-free milk).
Sandwich made from two pieces of wheat bread, two ounces of chicken, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato,
1 cup carrots,
1 apple, and
1 cup unsweetened iced tea.
1 cup low-fat yogurt or nonfat, and
½ cup raisins and nuts.
3 ounces grilled salmon,
1 cup brown rice,
1 cup cooked broccoli,
1 tablespoon olive oil (used in cooking),
salad made with 1½ cups of romaine lettuce, ½ cup of tomato, ¼ cucumber, 1 tablespoon vinegar and oil dressing, as well as
1 slice Italian bread with 1 teaspoon soft margarine.
2 cups of popcorn is cooked with canola oil and
1 cup of canned peaches.
If you have trouble doing this diet, you can lose weight by dieting practical and simple.
Please read How to Lose Weight Super Practical.
TLC Diet Side Effects
Until now there has been no adverse effects on the TLC diet. It's just that this diet is not recommended for ages 21 years and below. For ages 2-21 years, NCEP develop its own diet which is a modified version under the name Integrated Cardiovascular Health Lifestyle Diet.
The most important thing when you go on a diet, focusing on the health of the body. Not just to lose weight.
Please read the other diets: Most good diet program in America recommended by the experts.